Find a Therapist

We believe you should find a therapist who is professionally qualified in their own right (doctor, dentist, psychologist, nurse, other health professional). Many of our members are engaged in research or are employed as full time NHS professionals so are unable to accept referrals.

We feel that those practising hypnotherapy should already have a primary, professional reason to be in a helping relationship with patients. They should be in a position to accept clinical responsibility for their actions and have indemnity cover and should only use hypnosis within the clinical field in which they already have expertise.

To be on the BSACH referral list a member must either:

  • be Accredited
  • or have a Diploma in Clinical Hypnosis from Stafford University, Sheffield University , UCL or Birmingham City University.

All members on the Referral list are required to submit annually a statement giving details of the prerequisite number of hours of hypnosis-related continuing professional development, details of their indemnity insurance and the time spent in hypnosis peer supervision in the preceding year.

There are no official qualifications or statutory regulations for hypnosis and hypnotherapy within the UK. If you decide to seek help from someone other than a health professional, we would suggest that you look for someone who is a registered member of UKCP (United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy) or an accredited member of BACP (British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy).

Contact may be made either by generating an email through clicking on the email address or by telephone. The contract for treatment, including cost and length of treatment, is between you, the client, and the member concerned. BSCAH has no part in this contract apart from providing this list of suitably qualified practitioners.

To view our referral list click here